Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday Bluesday

We lost a great blues musician last week so it's only fitting that Johnny Winter is the choice this week. I was surprised to find out he was only 70 mostly because, to me, he always looked 70 years old. Nevermind the way he looks, just listen to the way he sounds.


Cabin in the woods.
I've received a few messages asking if I was ok and if there would be more Tuesday Bluesday. The messages are greatly appreciated and yes I'm ok. Just busy and working through my second ear infection. I've never had an ear infection in my life up until three weeks ago. Outer ear infection (swimmer's ear) and once I got over the pain I had to deal with that annoying part where you can't really hear very well. If this is what it's like to get old kill me now. I keep joking that I'm ready for the glue factory. Seriously, you don't know how much you take your senses for granted until they're taken away from you, even if it is just temporary. I'm 100% convinced that I got my ear infections from using those stupid earbuds while working out. I call them stupid because they're just one of those things that you don't think about needing to clean all the time. Toilets yes, earbuds no. I spoke the the nurse practitioners who prescribed my antibiotics and asked if it were possible and they both agreed that it's very likely. So if you're one of those who enjoy listening to music while working out be careful, keep the earbuds clean and keep your ears dry.
I've been busy with several other things besides ear problems. Did you know if you hold a professional license you have to do this great thing called continuing education? Yea, it sucks for the person who has to do them, but it's a great way to keep up with everything. What's worse than completing 20 hours of continuing education is filling out the paperwork and waiting for the all clear that your courses have been accepted. If you're like I was when I had to do my first 20 hours of continuing education you have no idea that you can do your 20 hours for free. Yep, none of my a-hole colleagues bothered to tell me. Don't worry, I don't work with any of them anymore, but surely they're torturing current employees. Anywho, if you're a medical professional and you're looking for continuing education courses check out http://www.powerpak.com/ Also, don't be an a-hole to your co-workers, whatever profession you're in. As tempting as it may be it's pretty counter productive so just don't.
Here's the book I read for this week. I know Steinbeck is supposed to this great must read author but it's all just meh to me. I remember reading "Of Mice and Men" and got nothing from it. I had low expectations for this book but was pleasantly surprised. Steinbeck describes a part of town that's a bit unsavory but from what I've been told about the Great Depression nothing was exceptionally great, except the depression. One of the main characters, Lee Chong, owned the grocery store and several other buildings on Cannery Row. The way he's described I picture a cross between Mr. Miyagi, being quiet and wise, and Egg Shen and his fearless attitude. Chong, even though it was the depression, made sure his customers never went hungry. He was a businessman but he wasn't heartless. Up until the introduction of Dora Flood this book seemed like it was going to be a snooze fest. Dora ran the brothel and was hated by almost everybody in town. The thing was, her business was still booming, even though it was the depression and she paid the highest taxes and gave the biggest donations. It's a book about people, how people interact with each other, how they should be more tolerant, how people should take the time to learn about each other. There's not really much else to it, it's only 196 pages and was actually worth reading. Little bit of trivia, they actually renamed the area that Steinbeck wrote about to Cannery Row. At the time that he wrote this it wasn't called Cannery Row, but it now in tribute to the book and you can go see many of the buildings he wrote about.
Here's one of my latest paintings. It's oil on an 8x10 canvas panel. This was painted on a really nice day and I'm wishing I had taken advantage of the nice weather. Now it's getting grody out again. Sorry, muggy is the word, not grody. Grody is what my hair looks like when it's muggy.






Finally, we've reached the daily doodle. 

Not too exciting, but it's what I scribbled out while on the phone with customer support. My phone hasn't worked right since last week. I can't make phone calls from it.  I didn't really need it last weekend so I waited until today to call about it. Turns out my phone is so old they said that it doesn't get signals from any towers. Even my phone is ready for the glue factory! Well, this is the crap I scribbled while I powered down my phone, removed the battery, updated PRL, stood on my head, said 10 Hail Mary's and hopped on one foot. Seriously, what a pain. I'm back in business now though. If you're wondering about the pens, I got suckered into buying a pack of those Inkjoy pens. I saw a commercial for them and I happened to be at the office supply store so I got a pack of them. There's nothing all that joyous about Inkjoy pens, except the brown pen. BROWN! I can't wait to write really crappy notes with that pen. Enjoy your week, keep your ears dry and no matter how bad you want to be an a-hole to your co-workers don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment