Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Tuesday Bluesday

Albert King and Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood is the Tuesday Bluesday song this week.  The funny thing about the blues is that the musicians always have a story to tell and it's almost impossible to understand what they're talking about unless they're playing their instrument. It would be rude to say shut up and play but if you have no manners go ahead and say it.
8x10 pastel on art spectrum
I've been super dooper busy, racking up the travel miles and using up all of the undereye, black circle eraser cream. I'm finally home for a few days and I sat down to work last night. While working the song, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper came on the radio. It took me back to when I was a kid and how fun it was to grow up in the 80s. It felt like we could wear the weirdest clothes and do the most outrageous stuff to our hair and nobody really said too much. Surely there were those who were judging but at that age it just felt like fun. Then I really got to thinking about how much better the world would be if girls really did just want to have fun. If all they wanted in life was to have fun then there wouldn't be as much hate and anger in the world. Not blaming girls for all the hate and anger, but you have to start somewhere. I understand that not everything in life is fun and it is important to be responsible but I still believe that it's possible to incorporate fun into just about every activity. Last year I had to clean the backyard that was full of thawing yard bombs. Guess what, cleaning up dog turds is more fun than doing taxes. See, it's all in your attitude and how you look at things.
Since I've been so busy I haven't had much time to read a really good book so I picked up this one which has 110 short stories, or fairy tales if you will. I'm a fan of Grimm's fairy tales and I was excited to find a book of 110 more of them. That is until I read them. There's a reason why these aren't that famous and the only thing "grimmer" about them is the mood you'll be in after reading them. These are most certainly the rejects that didn't make it into any previous selection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. Someone just wanted to make money on some half ass stories that honestly aren't fit to print. One story is about porridge, imagine that. A young girl and her mother have run out of food and they're hungry. The girl went off into the forest for no apparent reason and poof some old lady appeared. The old lady gave her a pot and told her when she was hungry to say, cook little pot, and when she had enough to eat just say, stop little pot. So the girl and her mom now had food. One day the girl took off to who knows where and the mother was left alone with the pot and said the magic words but she had the brains of a jack ass and couldn't figure out how to say stop little pot so the whole town filled up with porridge and if anyone wanted to go to the town they had to eat their way in. Seriously!?
I've been spending a ton of time outdoors painting. I've got the sunburn, bug bites and weird bleached out hair colour to prove it. This one is still a work in progress but thought I'd share anyway. I've been told not to share a work in progress but it doesn't bother me and I think it's fun to compare a half done piece to the finished one. Some people don't like to show their mistakes and that's fine. I know I'm not perfect. The trick is to not show up at the art show with a half done painting. Don't go to a concert and practice a new song. Don't open a restaurant and use all new recipes you've never made before. Also, don't step on a thumbtack while bare foot.

Here is the daily doodle. I bought this Moleskine sketchbook because everyone told me how great they are and wow Picasso and a bunch of other yahoos used them. THEY'RE CRAP! Definitely not worth the price tag. The paper is super thin and I haven't found one medium that works well on it. Pencils smudge, pen smears, watercolour warps the paper. I haven't tried blood yet. Hmmm... Oh well, lesson learned, don't believe the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment