Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tuesday Bluesday

Patrick Hazell's Try Me One More Time is the Tuesday Bluesday song this week. I was really looking for his song, "It's Been Awhile" to match my absence but couldn't find it on Youtube. Patrick Hazell is a great blues musician who puts on a high energy one man show.
Sorry if you've been missing my posts. I've been busy and I like it. I've been on some pretty interesting adventures and seen a lot of great things. This picture here was one of those amazing things. This river is usually a calm river and you can sort of see where an old dam was. Usually it's a nice tranquil spot to visit where the water flows quietly over the dam. I had set off to go paint this nice quiet spot and when I showed up this is what was there. The night before there was a huge storm and the water rose faster than normal, which is what's referred to as a flash flood. I went ahead and attempted to paint as the river rose. After taking a break for lunch and going back to the same spot, I could no longer paint there as it was under water. I moved to higher land and continued to paint and watch the river rise. The locals informed me that the water would be up over the road before night so I only stayed a couple more hours.


Here's a photo from another adventure. This is an original camera from a penitentiary. It's sitting in a museum now where people can look at it and laugh at the upside down images that come through the lens. The volunteer giving the tour mentioned that people mostly got a kick out of the upside down cars going by.  What I took away was the odd feeling I got knowing that criminals stood in front of this camera to have their mugshot taken. I had to fingerprint myself once for a job and that's the closest I've ever gotten to feel like a criminal. This was different. Consider how the Amish don't want their picture taken because they think the camera will capture your soul. Think of all of the criminal souls that were captured by this camera.
I was in a park and spied this young reader in a tree. Seeing this made my heart happy. One, not many kids climb trees anymore, two not many kids read books anymore and three, in a crowded busy park this young girl found solitude by climbing a tree and reading a book. She was completely content, not a care in the world. At that moment I wanted my own tree to climb and my own book to bury my face in.

Some stuff I decided to try, Get Clean tea. It's supposed to get rid of the toxins and all that other hippie guru stuff. It promised to flush out the toxins in the liver and hey, any good alcoholic will tell you that's a good thing. All joking aside, what could it hurt? You're supposed to drink one cup of tea in the morning, one in the afternoon and one at night. Each tea bag is separated in its own tin and clearly labeled, AM, All Day (which is afternoon if you read the label further) and PM. Drinking three cups of tea a day certainly can't hurt. The AM tea was good, the afternoon tea smelled like hot garbage but surprisingly tasted good and the PM tea was atrocious. I lasted four whole days and couldn't stand the thought of having to drink something that smelled like hot garbage and then later drink a cup of ginger. Unfortunately I can't tell you if it worked its magical hippie guru hoodoo or not because I couldn't finish it.
Finally we're to the daily doodle. This is a quick sketch of Wendell Mohr's home done in conte crayon. I made mistakes on purpose to test out this new eraser that's supposed to erase everything. I got it as a birthday gift from Jerry's Artarama. Not many businesses give you gifts on your birthday so I think it's pretty cool even if it doesn't work.
  Here's the after, after trying to erase the mistakes. Not so great, plus it's messy. Oh well, I have no buyer's remorse so no big deal.
I had to start a different blog specifically for my paintings so if you're interested in seeing those you can check them out here. http://jakpaints.blogspot.com/  I'll try to be more diligent about updating. Crap thing is, being diligent about updating takes away from actually working so we'll see how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment