Sunday, July 31, 2016

Road Trip 2016: Elk Horn Iowa

Last year my friend (since the first grade!!) and I took a short road trip to Minneapolis, MN. We then decided that we need to road trip every year. This year we decided to go on a trip through the mountains. We went to so many new places and did so many fun things that I can't cram it into one post so I'm going to go place by place. This first post is about a small town in Iowa called Elk Horn. I'd never been there nor heard of it. There was a sign on I-80 that mentioned the town and that it had a windmill. Not the new windmills you see at the wind farms, which are all over Iowa, but an authentic windmill from Nørre Snede, Denmark, It is supposed to be the only authentic operating Danish windmill in the United States. This town is about the size of the neighbourhood I live in. The last census has this listed as a town of 662 people. We stopped at a restaurant called The Flour Mill. If you're on Facebook (I'm not) you can check out their page here Flour Mill.  I didn't get the chance to take a photo of my lunch but I can tell you it was delicious. The pizza oven was broken that day so I chose the Veggie Pesto Sub. Of course I picked off the broccoli but other than that it was, as they say, worth writing about.
The windmill seemed to be the big attraction in this small town so that was about all of the exploring we did in Elk Horn.
One of my new year resolutions was to go to five places I've never been before so this counts as one.

No comments:

Post a Comment