Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Cheyenne, Cheyenne!

Cheyenne Trolley, the infamous billy club, Sanford's Grub & Pub, local attire & the lottery building, statue of Lane Frost and St. Mark's "haunted" church.
Hopefully that show's theme song isn't going through your head now. It is mine, and I apologise now if it is.....One day I'll write about my love/hate relationship with westerns.
If you're just now joining in on the recap of my wild west adventure you can begin here. After a day of driving the second day started out in Cheyenne, Wyoming. We began the day with a trolley tour through some of the historic places in downtown Cheyenne. It was about 90 minutes long and chock full of interesting information narrated by a very colourful tour guide.  The tour got off to a bit of a rocky start though. There was an older couple who were causing quite a raucous. Not even exaggerating there.  They wanted to board the trolley without tickets. The tour guide instructed them to where they could purchase tickets. They continued to try boarding. They finally left to purchase tickets. OR DID THEY!? In the time it would have taken to go purchase a ticket they came back without tickets but with a plan to save seats. After a round of arguing the elderly "lady" exited the trolley. The tour guide was very professional and handled the situation very well and we were finally able to start the tour. After departing I noticed the billy club under the driver's seat.  Was that going to be the next step?  Are the Cheyenne trolley tours so great that they have to use crowd control, or is it for insistent crotchety old people who are overwhelmed with the feeling of entitlement? Whatever it's there for we didn't get to see it in action. What a way to start the day!
Again, the tour was very interesting and very informative.  Some of the highlights were the true birth of Coors beer being in Cheyenne at a place called The Albany, not in Colorado. Most of the buildings in town were moved at some point or another.  A Swiss mason is supposedly buried within the walls of the St. Mark's Church when he died while building it. It's such a sensational story that Geraldo had to investigate.  And the right for women to vote started in Cheyenne, but only out of necessity, not because it was the right thing to do.
After our tour we checked out a few more things that took place for Frontier Days then headed off to find something for lunch.  We needed to find a place we couldn't get back home. Sanford's was where we landed.  I later learned from a friend that Sanford's is a small chain, mostly found in Wyoming, one in Fort Collins, CO and one in North Dakota and South Dakota. (Thanks for the info Ric!)I had the Gilligan Burger, minus the ham.  I'm allergic to pork so I couldn't eat most of the burgers that sounded good, they all had bacon, ham or onions.  I cautiously asked if I could have the Gilligan Burger without the ham.  In high school and college I worked in a restaurant and I know how some cooks dislike "special" orders so I'm always leery of making special requests.  The waitress assured me that it was fine and that people request it that way all the time. So I got a burger with teriyaki sauce, pineapple, a slab of cream cheese on top and a side of sweet potato fries. I declared it the best burger I've ever eaten. I may be allergic to pork but I sure made a pig of myself at Sanford's.
Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion of day two in Cheyenne, WY.  I promise bison, peacocks, more pigs and dead hookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment